One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Tending to combine with or dissolve in lipids or fats.
- ‘Due to its lipophilic nature, vitamin E accumulates in cellular membranes, fat deposits and other circulating lipoproteins.’
- ‘In the presence of lipophilic carrier proteins the removal is accelerated.’
- ‘The lipophilic part inserts into one or both leaflets of the lipid membrane and can consist of phospholipids, cholesterols, alkyl chains or phytanyl groups.’
- ‘If we turn now to the liposomal membrane, a gradient of solvent polarity is expected within the bilayer, increasing as one goes from deep within the lipophilic bilayer out toward the aqueous phase.’
- ‘Cholesterol, which is far more lipophilic than the hormones, associates tightly with the bilayer and does not cross it at all.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.