The breakdown of fats and other lipids by hydrolysis to release fatty acids.
- ‘First, in men, testosterone stimulates lipolysis, inducing an increase in free fatty acid release from the visceral fat depots.’
- ‘Taking the extended-release formulation at bedtime may diminish lipolysis and the release of free fatty acids to the liver, limiting the usual diurnal increase in plasma triglycerides.’
- ‘When lipolysis outraces lipogenesis and releases fatty acids into the blood, they diffuse into all cells of the body to be used as fuel.’
- ‘Intracellular acidosis, by virtue of anaerobic metabolism of glucose, hydrolysis of high-energy phosphates, and lipolysis, is accompanied by elevations of the partial pressure of venous and tissue carbon dioxide.’
- ‘In addition to its role in regulating glucose metabolism, insulin stimulates lipogenesis, diminishes lipolysis, and increases amino acid transport into cells.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.