One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of organic compounds that are fatty acids or their derivatives and are insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents. They include many natural oils, waxes, and steroids.
- ‘The membrane lipids of thermophilic bacteria are rich in saturated fatty acids.’
- ‘Alkaloids, phenols, antioxidants and lipids were never detected.’
- ‘It includes the glycerol and carbonyl groups and the hydrocarbon chains of the lipid.’
- ‘Acidic lipids enhance the adsorption of positive ions due to their negative charge.’
- ‘The peptide was frozen in place while the lipids and water were briefly allowed to relax around it.’
Early 20th century: from French lipide, based on Greek lipos ‘fat’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.