One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The presence in the blood of an abnormally high concentration of emulsified fat.
- ‘Additional symptoms of diabetes mellitus include excessive thirst, glucosuria, polyuria, lipemia and hunger.’
- ‘Clinical trials have shown that a dose of 4 g/day is effective at regulating postprandial lipemia.’
- ‘These serum specimens were anicteric and showed no evidence of lipemia or hemolysis.’
- ‘If visible lipemia is noticed, the lipid infusion should be stopped and a serum triglyceride level measured.’
- ‘The photo-optical method 42 has the advantage of being automated and is minimally influenced by the presence of fibrin split products or low levels of hemolysis, lipemia, or bilirubin.’
Late 19th century: from Greek lipos ‘fat’ + -emia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.