Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A female lion.
big catView synonyms
- ‘We even parked under a tree in which a young lioness was lying along a branch - a rare sight, according to our guide, as lionesses (unlike leopards) stop climbing trees when they reach four or five years old.’
- ‘Behind the bidders, above their heads, we can see a frieze of decorated tiles, its design of two lions after the same lioness humorously echoing the action below.’
- ‘An average social group of lions consists of about three lions, four or five lionesses and cubs.’
- ‘A pride of lionesses and their cubs appeared out of the bush, heading for the small pool that Glen and his wife Cindy had built the preceding year.’
- ‘Her face resembled a house cat and a lioness at the same time, with a strong muzzle but kind eyes and delicate ears.’
- ‘A lone cheetah, a lone tiger and an African lion and a couple of lionesses are no more exciting than small herds of kangaroo, deer, giraffe or Barbary sheep.’
- ‘We pulled up within 10-feet of three lionesses and their cubs most blissfully napping.’
- ‘It was now being fed by a female dog because the lioness lacked the experience to raise cubs.’
- ‘The Tirupati zoo has six panthers, four lionesses, three tigers and also two white tigers for public viewing.’
- ‘The lionesses kill the prey but the male eats the lion's share.’
- ‘Most of them resemble cats, lionesses or lions; others are not obviously derived from any specific animal.’
- ‘What followed was a bloody battle, where both the panther and the lioness struck blows and were struck.’
- ‘The circus had caged its ageing lionesses in appalling conditions: broken by nearly two decades of mistreatment and malnutrition, they were found to be suffering from internal bleeding, tooth decay and blindness.’
- ‘We crawled away, leaving the lioness unaware she'd been spied upon.’
- ‘All the lions and lionesses here are of a hybrid stock and thus are prone to producing defective offspring, it is pointed out.’
- ‘The lone male first, then the lionesses, followed the the cubs.’
- ‘The lioness has been put on medication to increases its blood circulation and will also be made to undergo a one-hour exercise regime every day.’
- ‘There was a pride of four lions - a lioness and her near-adult cubs - resting and ready to hunt when night fell.’
- ‘Lions and lionesses play dramatically dissimilar roles.’
- ‘And these two lionesses that we particularly focused on were absolutely wonderful.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.