Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(on a website) content designed to attract attention and encourage those viewing it to create hyperlinks to the site, with the aim of improving the site's position on the list of results returned by a search engine.‘at first, he tried creating linkbait to get his site noticed’
- ‘Anyone seeking video linkbait would also be a good candidate.’
- ‘How should you go about getting links to your linkbait these days?’
- ‘Even the most modest display of wit on the Internet can be characterized as "linkbait."’
- ‘Audience is everything, so the publication of quality linkbait is essential.’
- ‘WSJ reporters have better things to do than play the game of who can write the best linkbait.’
- ‘There have been more than a few debates and suppositions over the years about the potential value of linkbait/viral content strategies and whether search engines will always reward these practices.’
- ‘I will be writing some more linkbait - things that will benefit the new owner and will generate some decent traffic, and I'll be pushing out some quality stuff I've meant to blog for a long time but never got around to.’
- ‘Outside of one linkbait there is nothing remarkable about the site.’
- ‘This term may get some traffic but if it doesn't fit with the theme/tone of the site then save it for the linkbait and build strong links to these inner pages now.’
- ‘"I created a few of these linkbait pieces and they gained quite a bit of traffic, but I still wasn't getting many signups," Inman says.’
- ‘You are very good at doing linkbait stuff to cause publicity, but doing it in a way that does not harm your credibility much.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.