One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Another term for the mountain cranberry, especially in Scandinavia, where the berries are much used in cooking.
- ‘And then there's the forest berries growing wild - blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, cloudberries, and lingonberries.’
- ‘Swedish meatballs and lingonberries just won't cut it.’
- ‘It also gets along well with mushrooms and berries: lingonberries, cranberries, rowanberries.’
- ‘Think teak tabletops covered in lingonberries, herring, salmon, aquavit, pancakes and those cute little gherkins.’
- ‘Cloudberries and lingonberries, both of which grow wild on mountain plateaus, are particular favorites.’
- ‘Where the animals come together to drink and play, there are many fruit trees and some of the best lingonberries in the whole of northern Europe.’
- ‘Sample traditional Swedish delicacies such as köttbullar with lingonberries and pickled cucumber, or matjes (pickled herring), usually served with dill potatoes and best accompanied by ice-cold schnapps.’
- ‘Rather than arabesques of asparagus grass and lingonberries on the floor of a boreal forest, they envision white treeless wastes.’
- ‘The Swedish meatballs are a charming rendition of the Minnesota classic: nicely rough-hewn balls stand sturdily in their tan gravy, guarding fresh-tasting mashed potatoes and enough lingonberries to make you feel fancy.’
- ‘Hungary has a rich cheesecake packed with raisins and brandy in a wholemeal crust; Finland has lingonberry and blueberry cheesecakes baked in a cardamom-flavoured bread crust.’
- ‘They serve pancakes with lingonberries or strawberries with ham at a buffet in the basement one Sunday a month.’
- ‘Among the specials were traditional sautéed reindeer, potato purée and crushed lingonberries for €14.50.’
- ‘The Scandinavian-inspired fare includes pan-roasted salmon, venison, and roast duck with lingonberries.’
- ‘This was served with a lingonberry coulis, which was a weird choice with fish, because it was essentially lingonberry jam.’
- ‘The menu is creative and eclectic - Swedish pancakes with lingonberries, Greek salad, quesadillas, cinnamon rolls, Native American fry bread, herring, cheeses, and much, much more.’
- ‘This offering from the land of lingonberries and good vodka comes to us via the U.S. capital city.’
- ‘There is no haggling, but why be thrifty over cured reindeer meat, heaps of cloudberries, lingonberries and baskets of wild mushrooms?’
- ‘There were stalls piled with pyramids of different coloured berries - deep purple blackcurrants, scarlet strawberries, pink lingonberries and bright orange slushy cloudberries.’
- ‘Add the lingonberries and adjust flavors with sugar.’
- ‘Try the whitebait roe and the roasted reindeer with pickled chanterelles and crushed lingonberries.’
1950s: from Swedish lingon ‘cowberry’ + berry.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.