Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A summary of the scoring in a game displayed in a horizontal table, especially an inning-by-inning record of the runs, hits, and errors in a baseball game.
- ‘Instead, regard these numbers as a sportswriter does the line scores from the fourth inning of a baseball game.’
- ‘The story is meticulously researched, complete with lineups, line scores, newspaper clippings and advertisements.’
- ‘On a Internet site, the game streams live in one corner while the rest of the screen is filled with a line score, statistics, a running text account of the game and other links.’
- ‘The players will not have changed, however, only the line score on their current game.’
- ‘The numbers to fill out the line score are kept on pegs on the wall.’
- ‘More than anything besides orderly street numbering, I missed baseball, subsisting at best on a thin gruel of two-day-old line scores in the International Herald Tribune.’
- ‘It is one thing to run up a good line score against the Virgin Islands and the Dominican Republic, but Argentina has Emanuel Ginobili and beat the US team last year during the Pan American Games.’
- ‘Check the line scores of any day in major league baseball, and you'll find most games don't even feature a three-run inning.’
- ‘This oversized book summarizes each series, and features great photos, detailed line scores for every game and composite box scores for every World Series.’
- ‘You can follow these games live by visiting the line scores, play-by-play, and boxscores the official sports web site.’
- ‘The match had been much more competitively than the line score indicates, and might well have had a different outcome had Teran not escaped with that 9-7 opening frame.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.