One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of country and western dancing in which dancers line up in a row without partners and follow a choreographed pattern of steps to music.
- ‘A keen dancer Birdie regularly attended any event where there was ballroom dancing, Irish dancing or, in more recent years, line dancing.’
- ‘Groups such as karate, Weight Watchers, line dancing, toddler group, ballroom dancing and tea dancing use the hall every week.’
- ‘People shy away from us in clubs, scared we may revert to line dancing or rowing or some other sad form of choreography.’
- ‘Set dancing and line dancing classes will be up and running in a few weeks.’
- ‘The entire cast joined in a lavish, choreographed opening number and the grand finale, with the chorus line dancing as back-up for the featured acts.’
- ‘Choose from tango, tea dancing, line dancing or bhangra to take part in this challenge.’
- ‘Dartford and Gravesend Adult Education is holding yoga, line dancing, tai chi and belly dancing sessions at its centres in Dartford and Gravesham.’
- ‘What makes Love's approach to group exercise so appealing - especially to men, I'd wager - is her aversion to anything remotely resembling bad line dancing.’
- ‘He fills the rest of his time - between luxurious, semi-retired holidays - with line dancing, kayaking and handyman work - for mum, and for other people.’
- ‘Now, I'll admit, line dancing is not to everyone's taste, but the regular club scene was getting very stale for me.’
- ‘Mildred has maintained her great love for music and song down the years and is a well known teacher of set dancing and line dancing throughout the district.’
- ‘Hart drives her where she needs to go - to work in the morning, shopping during the week, line dancing on Friday, church on Sunday.’
- ‘We went line dancing one night, that was a laugh.’
- ‘Katrina, who has loved dancing since she was five, says she has learnt Irish, ballet and modern dancing but has discovered a real passion for line dancing.’
- ‘They can expect to see music from local bands as well as Irish dancing, line dancing and step dancing as part of the celebrations.’
- ‘Activities included line dancing, a food corner, a quiz about the pupils and a raffle, with teachers getting into the spirit of things by dressing as cowboys and Indians.’
- ‘Maypole dancing and line dancing were also on offer to the children.’
- ‘The women's club is back in action on Thursday nights with line dancing, aerobics classes and first aid course which will begin shortly.’
- ‘Creek Valley Western line dancing group is planning to put on a display.’
- ‘Competitive line dancing is just like jazz or disco dancing and it's great when you have a really interesting piece to perform.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.