One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bright green woolen cloth originally made at Lincoln, England.
greenish, viridescentView synonyms
- ‘In Robin's world, each of his merry man is promised three suits of Lincoln green each year, along with a salary, venison, ‘sweet oaten cakes, and curds and honey’.’
- ‘Symbolically, Leo wears Lincoln green (like Robin Hood), is teased by Marcus for being ‘green’, and is infatuated with Marian, Marcus' sister.’
- ‘Pure wool, fine wool felt, polyester, silk and waxed copper are dyed with colours such as red, black, orange, Lincoln green, dusky pink and China white.’
- ‘Deciding whether to go with Lincoln green or Washington blue, that's an artistic choice.’
- ‘This Robin Hood is a real outlaw whose actions have consequences, not an imposter lounging lazily on the greensward and plucking venison, oat-cakes, and suits of Lincoln green off convenient trees.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.