One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The study of the biological, chemical, and physical features of lakes and other bodies of fresh water.
- ‘Salinity, temperature, and dissolved oxygen strata were measured in each basin of each lake, again to compare abiotic limnology across lakes and over time at Ogac Lake.’
- ‘The Chinese societies for palaeontology, oceanography and limnology, and geophysics are later creations, dating from the late 1940s.’
- ‘The distribution, water chemistry, ecology, hydrology, limnology, and invertebrate and amphibian fauna of vernal ponds have been investigated.’
- ‘One of the more intriguing and challenging developments in ecology and in limnology and oceanography is the expansion of the temporal and spatial scales that are being addressed by current work.’
- ‘The choice is made on the basis of their international significance in terms of ecology, botany, zoology, limnology, or hydrology.’
Late 19th century: from Greek limnē ‘lake’ + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.