One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A painter, especially of portraits or miniatures.
- ‘The heroic portraits include those by Joshua Johnson, the free black limner who was in great demand as a portrait artist in and around his native Baltimore during the early national period.’
- ‘Welch explores how naturalists, especially those who were also artists, limners, or illustrators, sought to depict the world of Nature, particularly animate Nature, for themselves, their national compatriots, and the world.’
- ‘The limner was never solely a miniaturist, but worked in other formats and media too.’
- ‘The painting is by the same unidentified limner as the portraits of Catherine Van Patten and Adam Swarth in the Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse, New York.’
- ‘She has developed a penchant for painting her immediate surroundings and has proven to be a deft limner of the domestic interior.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.