One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A partner in a company or venture who receives limited profits from the business and whose liability toward its debts is legally limited to the extent of his or her investment.
- ‘To do the deal, the winner may have to buy out some of the team's limited partners.’
- ‘The limited partners are only liable to the extent of the assets they've contributed.’
- ‘There will be funds who will return money to their limited partners without having invested it.’
- ‘A corporate person may be a general partner or a limited partner.’
- ‘The accountant should have verified that the information, or evidence of wrongdoing was correct, and insisted that the general partners notify the limited partners of the excess management fees.’
- ‘Private equity funds are essentially partnerships, and by investing in them, the endowments become limited partners.’
- ‘In a limited partnership, the limited partner is liable only to the extent of the money he has invested.’
- ‘They have raised their funds by telling their limited partners what they intend to invest in.’
- ‘He's far from the only general partner to treat limited partners as something subhuman.’
- ‘Its members, which include general partners, limited partners, and associates, manage more than $4 billion in assets.’
- ‘Up-front research is critical in determining a profitable return on investment since it is customary that a fund's limited partners don't weigh heavily on investment decisions once capital is committed.’
- ‘Another key benefit of the limited partnership, aside from the diminished liability of the limited partners and freedom of the general partner, is that it pays no income tax.’
- ‘A limited partner in a horse venture cannot be a material participant.’
- ‘The limited partner interests owned by the family members are undesirable to creditors because creditors are typically prohibited from being admitted to the partnership as limited partners.’
- ‘Defensive lineman Ray Childress is now a limited partner in the Texans' ownership group.’
- ‘In recent years, this type of tax planning has been curtailed by ensuring that the capital allowances obtainable by a limited partner, or passive partner may not exceed his investment.’
- ‘The limited partner is only liable for the amount that he has agreed, by contract, to pay to the partnership.’
- ‘The children, in contrast, are usually designated limited partners with no voice.’
- ‘The forum assembles a powerful delegation of limited partners, private equity investors and industrial leaders from around the world.’
- ‘I had called one of my limited partners to explain my departure from the fund.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.