One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hard sedimentary rock, composed mainly of calcium carbonate or dolomite, used as building material and in the making of cement.
- ‘They are mainly bioclastic limestones, containing abundant fossils and fossil fragments.’
- ‘Sporadic outcrops of ophiolite lithologies are surrounded by shale and limestone.’
- ‘Turkish and Italian limestone, for example, is harder than English limestone.’
- ‘The limestones include dolomitic mudstones, wackestones, packstones and grainstones.’
- ‘Locally, near the village of Timirovo, the limestones are intercalated with arkosic sandstones.’
- ‘The limestone is highly fractured and contains abundant calcite and quartz veins.’
- ‘At Elephant Hill, the depositional facies below and above the palaeokarst include two major types: fenestral limestones and dark grey limestones.’
- ‘The unit consists of limestone or calcareous mudstone and was deposited in a fully marine environment.’
- ‘In Jamaica, extensive bauxite deposits are found overlying limestone and dolomite.’
- ‘Geologists will thrill to the revelation of the layers of limestone, shale and sandstone.’
- ‘The geology here is alternating layers of limestone and shale topped with millstone grit.’
- ‘Mylonitic limestones are particularly useful rocks for studying deformation mechanisms and fabrics in carbonate rocks.’
- ‘Everywhere sounded the drip of icewater, rubbing away at banded marble and rough limestone.’
- ‘Grotte Pere-Noel lies under woodland with a brown forest soil on Devonian limestones and dolomite.’
- ‘It was here they built their homestead of local stone and limestone carted in from further out on the run.’
- ‘Glaciers have deposited shale, slate, schist, and limestone throughout the region.’
- ‘Thanks to the Grassington Festival I have learnt to build dry stone walls in limestone as he would have done.’
- ‘They are interbedded with bioturbated muddy and sandy limestones, quartz-skeletal siltstones and sandstones.’
- ‘To the east is a range of hills with limestone and sandstone plateaux, and on the east bank of the Gulf of Suez is the Sinai desert.’
- ‘In the Southern Central Iberian Zone there are minor acid volcanic rocks intercalated with Caradoc-Ashgill limestones.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.