One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kiln in which limestone is burned or calcined to produce quicklime.
- ‘By a similar stroke of the pen, a limekiln in Thrislington obtained a licence to burn fuel that was 100 per cent hazardous.’
- ‘Project manager Dave Askew said: ‘We are keen to get it right, as the limekilns are industrial, and not the type we usually associate with an area of outstanding natural beauty, as this area is.’’
- ‘On Sunday there will be music song and dance at Stradbally Cove, 2-4p.m., taking place under the old limekiln, with dancing on the wooden stage created by Tom Power.’
- ‘Another tale recalled an incident in 1197 when a limekiln was made at Malton Priory.’
- ‘Station House, set in the hamlet of Hollybush Forfar House, home to a remarkable pair of limekilns Two homes act as a reminder to the glory days of our industrial past’
- ‘Other villagers accuse Zhou of destroying the limekiln belonging to a foundry, and bricks from a demolition site are sitting in a village field that residents want for farming.’
- ‘A few lucky crows have nests under the overhanging rocks and nearby was a limekiln with orchids.’
- ‘Slowly but surely, progress was made and before winter vegetables had been planted, a bakehouse and boat completed and two limekilns built.’
- ‘Several limekilns were in operation, and the developers envisioned a city that would dwarf Birmingham as the industrial center of Alabama.’
- ‘The Trust also works to conserve historic features from limekilns to stone sheepwashes.’
- ‘From here continue for another 1.5 km and you will see, en route, disused limekilns, the old pack horse bridge and remnants of the old charcoal burning sites all these feature are posted en route.’
- ‘His followers developed favourite themes; they painted rustic taverns, limekilns, travellers attacked by brigands, street vendors, charlatans, and carnivals.’
- ‘Also limekilns, an 1832 bridge, garlic, and a big tipped-over larch tree.’
- ‘Look out for the remains of what could be a limekiln just before you ford the river.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.