One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Very strange.‘they looked like nothing on earth’
weird, eccentric, odd, peculiar, funny, bizarre, unusual, abnormalView synonyms
- ‘There was a sound like nothing on earth: groups of male capuchin birds attract females with sounds like the whine of some outer-space cicada insect crossed with a sick cow.’
- ‘What turned up was quite a surprise. It looked like black pudding but tasted like nothing on earth.’
- ‘He was quiet as a lamb and as clever as a thoroughbred, but he looked like nothing on earth, so we lost him.’
- ‘After a sunny morning it smells like nothing on earth - it keeps rubber-neckers away but attracts every dog for miles around!’
- ‘The noise would be like nothing on earth - certainly nothing in Bellagio.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.