- another term for guaiacum
- ‘Closer scrutiny reveals that they are made of lignum vitae, an exotic West Indian hardwood characterized by occasional streaks of bright yellow.’
- ‘Handles and other wooden components are mahogany lignum vitae, or fruit-wood rather than the beech typically used for tools.’
- ‘It is also a very hard and heavy wood, even more so than lignum vitae, or ironwood.’
- ‘Look out for objects made of lignum vitae, a heavy rose-coloured hardwood, but shop around to get a sense of value before buying.’
- ‘Wild orchids and the gorgeous purple national flower, lignum vitae, twine among the tangle of vines and the aerial ‘Old Man's Beard’ drips from telephone and power lines.’
Latin, wood of life.