One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A weight in amateur boxing ranging from 132 to 140 pounds (60 to 63.5 kg)
- ‘He may well move up to light welterweight, a tough division already populated by many other Britons as well as by world players.’
- ‘Maloney obviously thinks Roberts is going to be able to do quite a bit since he is touting him as one of the possible belt chances of the night in the light welterweight.’
- ‘The vastly experienced Bulgarian has come down from light welterweight where he has won a good number of tournament medals.’
- 1.1 A light welterweight boxer.
- ‘The light welterweight won the British Amateur Championships last year and he has already beaten the Canadian and the Australian Commonwealth representatives, two of his main rivals for Manchester's medals.’
- ‘Another round closed and already people were scratching their head trying to figure out what it would take for Brodie to dent Chi, who looked near enough a light welterweight on the night.’
- ‘As his frame fills out he will find it increasingly hard to make the 10 stones required of a light welterweight.’
- ‘Light heavyweight Andre Ward and light welterweight Rock Allen also drew byes into the second round.’
- ‘I am going to target - and beat - the best light welterweights in the world.’
- ‘The 20-year-old light welterweight just keeps improving with every performance.’
- ‘British and Commonwealth light welterweight champion Junior Witter closed in on a world title shot with a stunning second round win over Italy's Giuseppe Lauri in Derby.’
- ‘Tallaght's unbeaten Paul Hyland appears set to maintain his unbeaten run with a victory over Slovakia's Peter Feher, while Stephen Haughian from Lurgan meets English light welterweight, Daniel Thorpe.’
- ‘The wise money will be slapped on the shaven head of Spadafora, but ideally Harris, a natural 140 lber, who has defeated some of the more competent light welterweight's around.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.