Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The reaction of something, especially the iris of the eye, to different intensities of light.
- ‘The investigator simply has to set the parameter representing the light reaction activity to zero, and recalculate the steady-state.’
The reaction that occurs as the first phase of photosynthesis, in which energy in the form of light is absorbed and converted to chemical energy in the form of ATP.
- ‘The light reaction relies upon two clusters of pigments, known as photosystems I and II, which each possess a different type of chlorophyll and several accessory pigments.’
- ‘Two proteins may participate in the light reaction.’
- ‘Chlorophyll and several other pigments such as beta-carotene are organized in clusters in the thylakoid membrane and are involved in the light reaction.’
- ‘During this second stage of photosynthesis, NADPH 2 and ATP produced in the light reaction are used to reduce CO 2 to organic carbon.’
- ‘This allows oxygen to diffuse past the ‘gatekeeping’ mitochondria and into the peroxisomes, initiating the light reaction.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.