One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Brightening of the night sky caused by street lights and other man-made sources, which has a disruptive effect on natural cycles and inhibits the observation of stars and planets.
- ‘The enactment of light pollution regulations began in Arizona and California, to reduce sky glow that was impeding astronomical research in those states.’
- ‘This would not eliminate light pollution but at least would set to zero its high yearly growth rate.’
- ‘Highest levels of light pollution are indicated with red, the black indicates no light pollution detected.’
- ‘‘The sources of light pollution are as varied as each community or region,’ he says.’
- ‘This makes it possible for light pollution in different areas to be compared without the confusion of altitude effects.’
- ‘The following is a list of existing light pollution ordinances from communities in Southeast Michigan.’
- ‘Clearly our light pollution problem is dominated by light from the local communities.’
- ‘Amateur Astronomers and Wildlife Associations worldwide regard the increasing light pollution with increasing concern.’
- ‘Here is the Southern California portion of the North American artificial light pollution map.’
- ‘The light pollution that results from this misuse is, however, the easiest of pollution sources to fix.’
- ‘The group, which has grown to more than 4,000 members in 69 countries across the globe since 1988, works to combat light pollution to preserve and protect the nocturnal environment.’
- ‘There are too many local planning authorities which have not taken the issue of light pollution seriously.’
- ‘But some aspects of light pollution are not widely appreciated by amateur astronomers.’
- ‘I live in Flagstaff, AZ and the light pollution laws here limit the amount of lumens per acre.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.