Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A handheld, penlike photosensitive device held to the display screen of a computer terminal for passing information to the computer.
- ‘Various other light pens have been developed which include a lens for focusing the axially received light.’
- ‘You may have to adjust the brightness of your monitor to get your light pen to work properly.’
- ‘The radiated light is directed so as to be projected from a tip of the light pen as required.’
- ‘The light pens are compatible with any DOS or Windows application and IBM computers in general.’
- ‘Digital tablets combine the tactile sensation of light pens with the ease of use of a mouse.’
2A handheld, light-emitting device used for reading bar codes.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.