One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A handheld, penlike photosensitive device held to the display screen of a computer terminal for passing information to the computer.
- ‘The light pens are compatible with any DOS or Windows application and IBM computers in general.’
- ‘You may have to adjust the brightness of your monitor to get your light pen to work properly.’
- ‘The radiated light is directed so as to be projected from a tip of the light pen as required.’
- ‘Digital tablets combine the tactile sensation of light pens with the ease of use of a mouse.’
- ‘Various other light pens have been developed which include a lens for focusing the axially received light.’
2A handheld, light-emitting device used for reading bar codes.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.