One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A glass bulb inserted into a lamp or a socket in a ceiling, which provides light by passing an electric current through a filament or a pocket of inert gas.
- ‘Incandescent and halogen light bulbs can fade colors if they are very close to the light source.’
- ‘So to replace a traditional 60-watt bulb, look for a compact fluorescent light bulb that is about 15 watts.’
- ‘Compact fluorescent light bulbs are available at your local lighting store, many hardware and home supply stores.’
- ‘The British Courts stood by their patent award for the light bulb to Swan, and Edison lost the suit.’
- ‘The problem with incandescent light bulbs is that the heat wastes a lot of electricity.’
- ‘He has to research the history of the light bulb, the layout of the building, the different kinds of bulbs, etc.’
- ‘It is also probably fair to say that Edison did produce the first commercially viable light bulb.’
- ‘The inefficient standard light bulb could be phased out within three years to save up to 800,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.’
- ‘Highly efficient fluorescent light bulbs are widely touted as environmentally friendly, but they have created a recycling headache for the Environmental Protection Agency and local governments.’
- ‘Although this is optional, I highly recommend it because this helps make the light bulb less fragile.’
- ‘The initial cost of replacing incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs will be offset by longer-term savings, Prime Minister John Howard said today.’
- ‘They have many compact fluorescent light bulbs in their home, but she's not completely sold.’
- ‘Assembly Bill 1109 would require the state to set an energy-efficiency standard for light bulbs that Edison's nearly 130-year-old invention can't currently meet - but might in the future.’
- ‘From spotlights to flickering flame tips, we offer incandescent light bulbs for just about every application, including wall sconces, table lamps, chandeliers, and track lighting.’
- ‘Familiarize yourself with the components of a modern light bulb using the diagram below.’
- ‘The platinum bulb worked, but platinum was far too expensive to use in commercial light bulbs.’
- ‘They provide the characteristic warm glow of incandescent light bulbs, making them suitable for any application in the house.’
- ‘A U.S. Senate committee is working on a proposal that would phase out the light bulb in 10 years.’
- ‘Compact fluorescent light bulbs work best if they are left on for over 15 minutes each time they are turned on.’
- ‘Adjust the voltage to the light bulb using the slider and observe the electric current through the bulb as plotted on the graph at right.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.