Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Light in color or shade.‘light-toned maple-veneer cabinets help brighten the space’
- ‘The light-toned eucalyptus wood and aluminum in the dash and around the center console gives the car a contemporary look.’
- ‘The clothing racks are a soothing, light-toned, lacquered wood with brushed metal fixtures so as to not show any reflection.’
- ‘The interesting point is the light-toned rocks were coated after they were shaped by wind, so this is not a process that goes back billions of years but is a more recent process.’
- ‘By 1906 the brilliant colours and joyous freedom of Bevan's earlier painting had given way to a more traditional, light-toned, impressionist palette and a more considered, broken touch.’
- ‘There are subtle shade differences from room to room, but the light-toned palette helps the space feel more expansive.’
- ‘This large, unusual light-toned rock that appeared to be scalloped by the winds had caught their eyes the first time they saw it.’
- ‘The light-toned stone floor and buff-coloured walls and lack of gallery clutter give full rein to the contemplative nature of her work.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.