Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a nonwhite person) having pale or relatively pale skin.‘a light-skinned black woman’‘the light-skinned, blond-haired peoples of Scandinavia’
white, pallid, pasty, pasty-faced, wan, colourless, anaemic, bloodless, washed out, peaky, peakish, ashen, ashen-faced, ashy, chalky, chalk-white, grey, whitish, white-faced, whey-faced, waxen, waxy, blanched, drained, pinched, green, ghastly, sickly, sallow, as white as a sheet, as white as a ghost, deathly pale, cadaverous, corpse-like, looking as if one had seen a ghostView synonyms
- ‘What's blatant disrespect and racism is the replacement of dark-skinned women in Hollywood for light-skinned or white women.’
- ‘He was never a light-skinned black person.’
- ‘In Africa, many babies are born looking light-skinned, whereas the parents are very dark.’
- ‘In fact its not uncommon in a Mexican family to have a mixture of brown and light-skinned people.’
- ‘He has the peppery, light-skinned features common to the Berber people of North Africa.’
- ‘They were all light-skinned but had almond-shaped eyes.’
- ‘As you can see, I'm fairly light-skinned, in fact, I'm often mistaken for a Latino when I go overseas.’
- ‘Sunburn is an important hazard, particularly for light-skinned people.’
- ‘With her was a wiry, light-skinned man wearing a pair of blue football shorts.’
- ‘Colors that may look good on a light-skinned person may not have the same effect for a person of a darker skin complexion.’
- ‘With him was an even taller guy, dark-haired and light-skinned, wearing a uniform of sorts.’
- ‘He was going on 20, a year older, and a handsome, charming, light-skinned black man.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.