The use of specialized equipment to maintain a person's essential physical functions when they are very ill or in an environment such as space or under water.‘his wife decided to remove him from life support and take him home to die with hospice care’‘a patient on life support’figurative ‘the measures might get the technology sector off life support’
nurture, feedingView synonyms
- ‘Children with febrile seizures received routine life support on admission to hospital.’
- ‘He was put on a life-support machine but died the following Tuesday.’
- ‘Under the current system, most organs are donated by patients on life support machines who die after suffering irreversible brain damage.’
- ‘For example, suppose a doctor refuses to withdraw life support from an incompetent patient when the clinical team agrees it to be appropriate.’
- ‘Systems that use living organisms to perform life support system functions are called bioregenerative life-support systems.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.