Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The use of specialized equipment to maintain a person's essential physical functions when they are very ill or in an environment such as space or under water.‘his wife decided to remove him from life support and take him home to die with hospice care’‘a patient on life support’figurative ‘the measures might get the technology sector off life support’
nurture, feeding, life supportView synonyms
- ‘Children with febrile seizures received routine life support on admission to hospital.’
- ‘He was put on a life-support machine but died the following Tuesday.’
- ‘Systems that use living organisms to perform life support system functions are called bioregenerative life-support systems.’
- ‘For example, suppose a doctor refuses to withdraw life support from an incompetent patient when the clinical team agrees it to be appropriate.’
- ‘Under the current system, most organs are donated by patients on life support machines who die after suffering irreversible brain damage.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.