Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A commissioned officer in the US Navy or Coast Guard ranking above ensign and below lieutenant.
- ‘Now I was thinking to myself that CAG and the skipper were biting their nails as the only lieutenant junior grade in the two Hornet squadrons was flailing around the gulf.’
- ‘We had an extensive debrief afterward - all the more grueling for our lieutenant junior grade because the event was eventually cancelled for weather.’
- ‘My crew consisted of a lieutenant starting his last year at the command as aircraft commander, a lieutenant junior grade on his first mission commander hop, another department head, and our CAG chaplain.’
- ‘Even though I was a nugget lieutenant junior grade on my first set of work-ups, I was starting to feel salty around the boat.’
- ‘Eighteen months later, a Navy selection board promoted him to lieutenant, advancing him beyond the next immediate rank of lieutenant junior grade.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.