One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of German song, especially of the Romantic period, typically for solo voice with piano accompaniment.
- ‘On the lieder disc there are songs by Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Brahms and Strauss, plus Mahler's complete Kindertotenlieder.’
- ‘And so on to the German lieder, epitomized by Schubert's extraordinary genius in creating songs and song cycles.’
- ‘And Liszt himself is redeemed as a lieder composer, underrated despite fascinating early efforts by Bernac and Poulenc to popularize his songs.’
- ‘These are elements that we find in the Mahler lieder also.’
- ‘They apparently enjoy making music together, but I can't imagine why - I've seldom heard two more mismatched temperaments collaborate in Schubert lieder.’
- ‘He has also written a significant number of lieder and song cycles which are significantly under-represented in the current CD catalogue.’
- ‘After a historical introduction to the orchestral instruments, Plotkin explores the literature for the symphonic form, piano, orchestral instruments, lieder and vocal music, and choral music.’
- ‘These include lieder, thirty string quartets and six symphonies, plus numerous overtures and choral works.’
- ‘Superb young singers of German lieder are amazingly plentiful these days - and here is yet another.’
- ‘Thoughts of the late lieder of Franz Schubert bring to mind the settings of Wilhelm Muller's Die schone Mullerin and Die Winterreise or the collection of Schwanengesang with the poetry of Rellstab and Heine.’
- ‘A series of Liszt transcriptions of Schubert lieder found Gekic at his most poetic.’
- ‘Beethoven's six Gellert lieder were hobbled by bad intonation, while the cautious note-to-note rendition of Wagner's Wesendonk songs lacked any sense of their sensuous wonder.’
- ‘From simple lieder, or songs, to symphonies and operas, Austrian music has enriched the cultural life’
- ‘It is not the same thing, almost not the same voice, to sing lieder and opera.’
- ‘Requiring appreciation of poetic texts set to music, lieder reveals a composer's heart like few other musical forms.’
- ‘As if to foreshadow the war to come, he recorded two of the most popular German lieder that month - Schubert's Serenade and Brahms's Lullaby.’
- ‘With the eight Heine songs the link with German lieder is consolidated; the debt here is especially to Brahms.’
- ‘The student will have learned that during this period, four-part frottole, chanson, and lieder are often performed as voice and lute duets.’
- ‘In 1986 they produced a CD of Mozart lieder that immediately revealed the kind of artistry they were aiming at.’
- ‘It is also considered disruptive to clap individual songs or short instrumental pieces rather than at the end of each group at lieder recitals or early music concerts.’
From German Lied.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.