Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having an official license.‘a licensed taxi operator’
official, appointed, legal, recognized, licensed, authorized, approved, certified, warranted, empowered, deputed, endorsed, sanctioned, vouched forView synonyms
- ‘Tasmania at the moment, is going to be the quickest to get to something close to a total indoor smoke ban in licensed venues, pubs, clubs, gaming areas.’
- ‘Most of these taxi operators are unlicensed and licensed operators have requested that the council and the Tourism Authority of Thailand rectify the situation as quickly as possible.’
- ‘We did not have officially licensed merchandise in those days.’
- ‘It is therefore a form of interrogational torture; it is the officially licensed form.’
- ‘He had gambled away his licensed taxi as a result of his increasing debt and it was time to pay the debts.’
- ‘There may also be a cap on foreign banks, in terms of absolute numbers, or in terms of a maximum percentage of assets held by all licensed banks in the jurisdiction.’
- ‘Even though an attorney wrote the answers presented here, the information must not be relied upon as a substitute for obtaining specific legal advice from a licensed attorney.’
- ‘This means that it is an officially licensed game based on the books.’
- ‘The Respondent is employed as a licensed mechanic and presently earns $48, 900 per annum.’
- ‘Officials say the newly licensed producers are aiming for a different market - the poorer rural residents and, eventually, overseas consumers.’
- ‘The designs will be used on Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks tickets and officially licensed merchandise.’
- ‘Yes, but what I am emphasising at the moment is the purpose for which he had the right to occupy the subleased area and the licensed right to use shared facilities subject to that reasonable permission.’
- ‘But officially licensed guides are the best way to go.’
- ‘What happened, your Honours, is that timber from approximately three-quarters of the leasehold itself was logged by licensed timber operators.’
- ‘All commercial space will be given to recognised and licensed operators after a bid or a competition of market prices.’
- ‘Under the Act you have carriers, so you cannot actually provide carriage services unless you are a licensed carrier.’
- ‘If affordable, car owners should have their own officially licensed emission test devices to ensure against possible police accusations of unsatisfactory results.’
- ‘A wave of consolidation in China's domestic handset industry will reduce the number of mainland makers from the current 37 officially licensed vendors, he said.’
- ‘He is a licensed trustee in bankruptcy and is engaged in a number of files as trustee and court appointed receiver.’
- ‘Now the situation across Down District has got so bad that licensed taxi drivers say that they are being forced out of business.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.