One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sign affixed to a vehicle displaying a series of letters or numbers indicating that the vehicle has been registered with the state.
- ‘That's equivalent to reading an automobile license plate from 100 kilometers away.’
- ‘She looked at the license plate as the red car drove off.’
- ‘Once he enters it in there he could have it look up the license plate to find out who was driving it.’
- ‘They also ripped the license plate off it and took it with them to take somewhere else so they wouldn't identify the car right away.’
- ‘When a police car is near yours he gets a letter or number off your license plate.’
- ‘That's when you catch the snoop in your rear-view mirror, methodically recording your license plate in a notepad.’
- ‘We can rattle off the number of a license plate that could lead to a sniper's arrest.’
- ‘Whenever they spot an out-of-state license plate, have them use crayons to color in that state on their map.’
- ‘As he gazed upon the license plate in front of him with its letters and numbers, he almost wished for a car.’
- ‘Worried about automatic cameras snapping a picture of your license plate as you speed through red lights?’
- ‘When my number was called we went to a counter with a nice old lady who took my money, then gave me a Kleenex to wipe off my license plate to affix the sticker.’
- ‘The victim also caught several numbers on the license plate as well as the make of the car.’
- ‘His vehicle has sustained no damage whatsoever - just a bent license plate.’
- ‘She focused on his license plate, but couldn't really record the number.’
- ‘Before he got in his car I couldn't help but remember his license plate.’
- ‘In Washington D.C., a cop threatened to arrest me once because I didn't have a front license plate on my car.’
- ‘She strained in the bright morning sunlight to see the license plate.’
- ‘A license plate belonging to a car was found next to the body.’
- ‘And it was reported to us as a gray automobile with the partial license plate of 266.’
- ‘I wrote the number of the license plate down, and stuck it in my back pocket.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.