One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sign affixed to a vehicle displaying a series of letters or numbers indicating that the vehicle has been registered with the state.
- ‘She strained in the bright morning sunlight to see the license plate.’
- ‘His vehicle has sustained no damage whatsoever - just a bent license plate.’
- ‘When a police car is near yours he gets a letter or number off your license plate.’
- ‘In Washington D.C., a cop threatened to arrest me once because I didn't have a front license plate on my car.’
- ‘They also ripped the license plate off it and took it with them to take somewhere else so they wouldn't identify the car right away.’
- ‘We can rattle off the number of a license plate that could lead to a sniper's arrest.’
- ‘I wrote the number of the license plate down, and stuck it in my back pocket.’
- ‘As he gazed upon the license plate in front of him with its letters and numbers, he almost wished for a car.’
- ‘Whenever they spot an out-of-state license plate, have them use crayons to color in that state on their map.’
- ‘That's when you catch the snoop in your rear-view mirror, methodically recording your license plate in a notepad.’
- ‘A license plate belonging to a car was found next to the body.’
- ‘And it was reported to us as a gray automobile with the partial license plate of 266.’
- ‘She focused on his license plate, but couldn't really record the number.’
- ‘Before he got in his car I couldn't help but remember his license plate.’
- ‘Once he enters it in there he could have it look up the license plate to find out who was driving it.’
- ‘That's equivalent to reading an automobile license plate from 100 kilometers away.’
- ‘She looked at the license plate as the red car drove off.’
- ‘The victim also caught several numbers on the license plate as well as the make of the car.’
- ‘Worried about automatic cameras snapping a picture of your license plate as you speed through red lights?’
- ‘When my number was called we went to a counter with a nice old lady who took my money, then gave me a Kleenex to wipe off my license plate to affix the sticker.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.