One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tranquilizer of the benzodiazepine group, used chiefly to treat anxiety and alcoholism.Also called chlordiazepoxide
- ‘A first attempt to clean up was almost immediately unsuccessful, and in 1999 when he was found unconscious after consuming methadone, Librium and vodka.’
- ‘You probably don't recognize benzodiazepines but the trademarked names Valium and Librium are household words.’
- ‘Barbiturates and tranquilizers such as Librium and Valium are categorized in this class.’
- ‘Since Librium is a long-acting drug, it's quite possible that Thomas' agitation was caused by some withdrawal symptoms which are typically delayed in onset.’
- ‘A group of tranquillisers called benzodiazepines including drugs such as Valium, Librium and Diazepam were often involved.’
1960s: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.