One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who liberates a person or place from imprisonment or oppression.‘they saw themselves not as conquerors but as liberators’
rescuer, saviour, deliverer, freer, emancipator, messiah, champion, knight in shining armour, good samaritanView synonyms
- ‘Writing in 1888, historian Henry Howe said that when MacGahan returned to Bulgaria in 1877, he was everywhere hailed as a liberator and deliverer.’
- ‘Washington is the hero of the United States, the great liberator.’
- ‘Some of our formerly rescued and rehabilitated children are now the leaders and liberators in their own communities.’
- ‘The abiding hero of Latin America is Simon Bolivar, the great liberator.’
- ‘What I found there did not correspond to what was being reported most crucially, that the liberators were widely perceived as occupiers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.