One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who liberates a person or place from imprisonment or oppression.‘they saw themselves not as conquerors but as liberators’
rescuer, saviour, deliverer, freer, emancipator, messiah, champion, knight in shining armour, good samaritanView synonyms
- ‘What I found there did not correspond to what was being reported most crucially, that the liberators were widely perceived as occupiers.’
- ‘Writing in 1888, historian Henry Howe said that when MacGahan returned to Bulgaria in 1877, he was everywhere hailed as a liberator and deliverer.’
- ‘Washington is the hero of the United States, the great liberator.’
- ‘Some of our formerly rescued and rehabilitated children are now the leaders and liberators in their own communities.’
- ‘The abiding hero of Latin America is Simon Bolivar, the great liberator.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.