One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Though I'll confess to a recreational curiosity about the expressions themselves, there are a couple of larger issues here that may excuse an indulgence in lexicographical minutiae.’
- ‘I don't know what makes words catch on, but I know you can't just stick bits of other words together, however ingeniously, and expect an awed speech community to take your lexicographical collage to its bosom.’
- ‘There is no lexicographical nor etymological reason for this.’
- ‘I believe that, failing the discovery of the lexicographical equivalent of the crock of gold at the end of the rainbow, we are unlikely to find out the truth about this one.’
- ‘This is a joke with a few lexicographical layers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.