One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic steroid hormone which has a similar effect to progesterone and is used in some contraceptive pills.
- ‘It consists of the hormone levonorgestrel, a common ingredient in birth control pills.’
- ‘No studies have specifically compared mifepristone with levonorgestrel.’
- ‘Certain drugs such as corticosteroids, anti-epileptic medicines like phenytoin, and oral contraceptives containing levonorgestrel or norethisterone, may aggravate acne.’
- ‘Plan B uses a form of the synthetic hormone progestin, called levonorgestrel, to block ovulation and fertilization of the egg in a process similar to what happens with use of traditional birth control pills.’
- ‘We have Progestasert (a progesterone IUD), which is still available as well as the newer Mirena, which relies on the hormone levonorgestrel, a synthetic progesterone.’
1970s: from levo- (it being a levorotatory isomer) + norgestrel, a synthetic steroid hormone.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.