A muscle whose contraction causes the raising of a part of the body.
- ‘In the shoulder girdle, the serratus anterior, upper and lower trapezius, levator scapulae and rhomboid muscles are involved.’
- ‘Extra levator costae muscles may be associated with these ribs.’
- ‘Research by Arat indicates the first two muscles affected by an over-loaded limbic system are the levator scapula and upper trapezius.’
- ‘With the upper trapezius, the levator scapula lifts your shoulder blades.’
- ‘The levator veli palatini muscle, which elevates the soft palate, is innervated by a pharyngeal branch of the vagus nerve.’
Early 17th century: from Latin, literally a person who lifts from levare raise, lift.