A synthetic compound used as an anthelmintic drug (especially in animals) and in cancer chemotherapy.
- ‘No staining was observed in animals mounted in levamisole but not irradiated, indicating that all expression of the transgene was laser induced.’
- ‘We selected for mutants that were resistant to the anthelmintic drug levamisole.’
- ‘In addition, administration of levamisole did not influence the SCC or IgG concentration in the colostrum of mares.’
- ‘Drugs assessed in these trials included albendazole, piperazine, mebendazole, levamisole, pyrantel, and tetrachlorethylene.’
- ‘In addition, no persuasive mechanism for the assumed synergism between fluorouracil and levamisole has been found.’
1960s: from levo- (it being a levorotatory isomer) + (tetra)misole, the name of an anthelmintic drug.