One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of biologically active compounds, originally isolated from leukocytes. They are metabolites of arachidonic acid, containing three conjugated double bonds.
- ‘These breakdown products can become toxic to the membrane due to excess levels of free radicals, lipid peroxides, and arachidonic acid and its metabolites such as leukotrienes.’
- ‘During the early phase, mast cells release mediators (e.g., histamine, leukotrienes, prostaglandins and thromboxanes) that lead to vasodilation, edema and bronchoconstriction.’
- ‘Arachidonic acid metabolites such as leukotrienes and thromboxanes have been shown to increase in the lung during ischemia-reperfusion injury in a dog model of warm ischemia.’
- ‘Prostaglandins and leukotrienes from arachidonic acid metabolism are highly inflammatory molecules, and play an important role in the pathophysiology of asthma.’
- ‘In addition to chemokines, lipid metabolites such as leukotrienes and prostaglandins are emerging as important upstream controllers of DC migration toward LNs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.