One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of biologically active compounds, originally isolated from leukocytes. They are metabolites of arachidonic acid, containing three conjugated double bonds.
- ‘Prostaglandins and leukotrienes from arachidonic acid metabolism are highly inflammatory molecules, and play an important role in the pathophysiology of asthma.’
- ‘In addition to chemokines, lipid metabolites such as leukotrienes and prostaglandins are emerging as important upstream controllers of DC migration toward LNs.’
- ‘These breakdown products can become toxic to the membrane due to excess levels of free radicals, lipid peroxides, and arachidonic acid and its metabolites such as leukotrienes.’
- ‘During the early phase, mast cells release mediators (e.g., histamine, leukotrienes, prostaglandins and thromboxanes) that lead to vasodilation, edema and bronchoconstriction.’
- ‘Arachidonic acid metabolites such as leukotrienes and thromboxanes have been shown to increase in the lung during ischemia-reperfusion injury in a dog model of warm ischemia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.