An increase in the number of white cells in the blood, especially during an infection.
- ‘With Lazarus, he published a book that dealt with normal blood and the appearance of blood cells in various pathologic states, including leukocytosis, leukopenia, leukemia, and anemia.’
- ‘The manifestations of SIRS include fever, hypothermia, leukocytosis or leukopenia, tachycardia, and tachypnea.’
- ‘A complete blood count may reveal leukocytosis or thrombocytopenia.’
- ‘Antibiotics are only of proven efficacy when there is evidence for infection (fever, leukocytosis, change in chest X-ray).’
- ‘As an example, negativity of cultures does not preclude the possibility that this older woman with bilateral infiltrates, blood leukocytosis, and neutrophil lung infiltration had a lung infection.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.