One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless cell that circulates in the blood and body fluids and is involved in counteracting foreign substances and disease; a white (blood) cell. There are several types, all amoeboid cells with a nucleus, including lymphocytes, granulocytes, monocytes, and macrophages.
- ‘White blood cells or leucocytes are complete cells because they contain a nucleus and other vital organelles.’
- ‘Lymphocytes and granular leucocytes are also found in the stroma.’
- ‘Mononuclear leukocytes consist of monocytes and lymphocytes.’
- ‘Finally, there were other techniques for separating red blood cells from leucocytes.’
- ‘For all these cases, hepatocytes were more immunoreactive than endothelial cells and leukocytes.’
- ‘Necrotic tissue, blood vessels, and leukocytes were excluded from the quantification process.’
- ‘At baseline, levels of circulating leucocytes and vascular cell adhesion molecules were elevated in the sickle cell mice.’
- ‘Reduction of leucocytes in red blood cell concentrates by filtration results in less alloimmunisation in patients receiving transfusions and transplants’
- ‘Immune cells or leukocytes circulate continuously from the blood, into various organs, and back into the blood.’
- ‘White blood cells (also called leukocytes or WBCs) help the body fight infections.’
- ‘The epithelium covering the tonsils is extensively infiltrated by lymphocytes, plasma cells, and polymorphonuclear leucocytes.’
- ‘It also stimulates the production and activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes and promotes adhesion of immune cells to the endothelium.’
- ‘The injured or ruptured cells attract neutrophil leukocytes and activate alveolar macrophages, causing inflammation in the lung.’
- ‘Many of these are inflammatory cells, such as leukocytes and macrophages.’
- ‘This shows an infiltration of polymorphonuclear leukocytes with foci of necrosis, thrombosis, and hemorrhage.’
- ‘Ehrlich had made a clear distinction between acidophil and basophil leukocytes.’
- ‘This was due to increases in both polymorphonuclear leukocytes and macrophages.’
- ‘Some giant cells exhibited phagocytosis of mononuclear tumor cells and leukocytes such as lymphocytes and polymorphonuclear cells.’
- ‘In some areas, polymorphonuclear leukocytes and eosinophils were intermingled with the small lymphocytes.’
- ‘The myeloid lineage gives rise to the rest of the white blood cells or leukocytes, which all derive from the bone marrow in adults.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.