One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A malignant progressive disease in which the bone marrow and other blood-forming organs produce increased numbers of immature or abnormal leukocytes. These suppress the production of normal blood cells, leading to anemia and other symptoms.
- ‘The symptoms of leukaemia vary greatly, depending on the exact type of disease and how advanced it is.’
- ‘In leukaemia, white blood cells multiply in an uncontrolled and abnormal way.’
- ‘Benzene is especially noxious, with the ability to cause bone marrow cancer and leukemia.’
- ‘Treatment aims to destroy all the white blood cells affected by leukaemia.’
- ‘The two most important cancers in this context are colorectal cancer and leukaemia.’
- ‘The charity was set up to buy Christmas gifts for children with cancer, leukaemia and other illnesses.’
- ‘However, it may be a sign of platelet or vascular disorders and is common in leukaemia and HIV infection.’
- ‘The cold developed into pneumonia, which turned out to be a symptom of leukaemia.’
- ‘Such transplants are one of the most effective treatments for leukemia and other diseases.’
- ‘When a child has leukemia, large numbers of abnormal white blood cells are produced in the bone marrow.’
- ‘It was hoped the drug would help arthritis, leukaemia and multiple sclerosis.’
- ‘There are two basic reasons for carrying out bone marrow transplantation for leukaemia and lymphoma.’
- ‘Given alongside chemotherapy, it can reduce the symptoms of leukaemia very quickly.’
- ‘Stem cell transplantation is commonly used for a variety of malignant disorders such as leukemias and lymphomas.’
- ‘In some types of cancer, particularly leukaemia, high-dose chemotherapy is used.’
- ‘In people with leukemia, the bone marrow produces a large number of abnormal white blood cells.’
- ‘This type of leukemia is also known as acute lymphoblastic leukemia and acute childhood leukemia.’
- ‘When a person with symptoms of leukaemia goes to their GP, they will usually be physically examined.’
- ‘Call the doctor if your child has any of the signs or symptoms of leukemia.’
- ‘Childhood exposure is linked to an increased risk for leukemia and thyroid cancer.’
Mid 19th century: coined in German from Greek leukos ‘white’ + haima ‘blood’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.