One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A cultivated plant of the daisy family, with edible leaves that are a usual ingredient of salads. Many varieties of lettuce have been developed with a range of form, texture, and color.
- ‘I plant hybrid tomatoes, but grow heirloom chick peas, fava beans, lettuce, and cucumbers (to list but a few).’
- ‘Other fruits and vegetables coming through the laboratory with diseases included figs, pears, quinces, raspberries, nectarines, cherries, onions, lettuces, corn, mung beans and pumpkins.’
- ‘At home we grow sweetcorn, beans, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, garlic and leeks.’
- ‘Verlaine's chine was stuffed with leeks, spring onions, lettuce, raspberry leaves, parsley, thyme and marjoram.’
- ‘In the vegetable garden early planting of lettuce, peas, radishes, carrots, parsley, onions and potatoes are equally important.’
- ‘An almost bare-bones salad of romaine lettuce has a tongue-clacking blast of fresh anchovy dressing.’
- ‘The salad garden grows colorful lettuce, basil, tarragon and trellised peas.’
- ‘The crops of spring onions, lettuce and Chinese cabbage were given free to guests at a formal function to celebrate the event on Friday.’
- ‘In the vegetable garden, carrots, spring onions, lettuce, spinach and radishes can all be planted.’
- ‘I make salad with avocados, tomato, lettuce and spring onions, with an olive oil and red wine dressing.’
- ‘The romaine lettuce didn't feel right for this salad.’
- ‘Snap beans, turnips, leaf lettuce and spinach are also good candidates for fall harvest.’
- ‘In addition romaine lettuce, arugula and spinach are valuable.’
- ‘In my family, when the lettuce is all gone, basil's not just an herb, it becomes our main leafy green.’
- ‘By way of accompaniment, we roasted acorn squash and red peppers, sautéed red onions, and made a big salad of farmers' market lettuces and shaved fennel.’
- ‘The carrots, cabbage, spinach, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and beetroot that are grown in the garden were initially used to feed 80 children once a week.’
- ‘Add the lettuce and watercress and purée until smooth, about one minute.’
- ‘In a small bowl, combine the lettuce, Upland Cress, balsamic vinegar, and grapeseed oil and toss to coat.’
- ‘I said that because of the condiments: the mustard and mayo, the lettuce, tomato and onion.’
- ‘The Sardine salad with tomato, lettuce, cucumber and carrot mixed with olive oil and vinegar is a hit dish in the eatery.’
- 1.1 Used in names of other plants with edible green leaves, e.g., lamb's lettuce, sea lettuce.
- ‘An average dinner in our house is fish or baked chicken with lambs lettuce.’
- ‘It came with a sauce Gribiche (a thick egg mayo type version of the caper sauce) and a salad of tender lambs' lettuce with a subtle but still distinctively walnut oil vinaigrette.’
- ‘I particularly liked the leaves of baby jem lettuce, the oven-roasted tomatoes and the black and green olives.’
2US informal Paper money; greenbacks.
- ‘It takes a lot of lettuce to pay today's players.’
Middle English: from Old French letues, laitues, plural of laitue, from Latin lactuca, from lac, lact- ‘milk’ (because of its milky juice).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.