1Printing from a hard, raised image under pressure, using viscous ink.
- ‘I think perhaps this explains my addiction to letterpress.’
- ‘Only a few artists have used letterpress in such a visually creative way.’
- ‘The first edition of the album sleeve was done by letterpress, an old and rather inefficient means of printing.’
- ‘Printing on aluminum foil can be accomplished by any commercial process, including rotogravure, flexography, lithography, and letterpress.’
- ‘Photography liberated painting from strict representation to become abstract and impressionist; television made movies into art as well, and digital printing makes us reverse woodtype, lead, and letterpress.’
2British Printed text as opposed to illustrations.