One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high school or college student who has earned a letter in an interscholastic or intercollegiate activity, especially a sport.
- ‘An Illinois native, McNeive was a four-year letterman in baseball and basketball at Monmouth College.’
- ‘All together, 11 lettermen are back, including every starter except center Jamar Smith.’
- ‘Notre Dame will feature 29 senior lettermen.’
- ‘He preceded me as a four-sport letterman at Orange High School in New Jersey.’
- ‘He was a four-year varsity letterman in bowling and was the team captain and most valuable player his junior and senior years.’
- ‘He then went to the University of Washington, where he was a three-year letterman and a two-year starter.’
- ‘He grew up in Brooklyn, the son of a well-to-do family, a letterman in three sports and the most popular boy in the senior class at Erasmus High.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.