One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high school or college student who has earned a letter in an interscholastic or intercollegiate activity, especially a sport.
- ‘He was a four-year varsity letterman in bowling and was the team captain and most valuable player his junior and senior years.’
- ‘Notre Dame will feature 29 senior lettermen.’
- ‘He grew up in Brooklyn, the son of a well-to-do family, a letterman in three sports and the most popular boy in the senior class at Erasmus High.’
- ‘He preceded me as a four-sport letterman at Orange High School in New Jersey.’
- ‘He then went to the University of Washington, where he was a three-year letterman and a two-year starter.’
- ‘An Illinois native, McNeive was a four-year letterman in baseball and basketball at Monmouth College.’
- ‘All together, 11 lettermen are back, including every starter except center Jamar Smith.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.