One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A game or set of circumstances in which one behaves as though a fictional or unreal situation were a real one.
- ‘Tournaments such as the World Cup and European Championship will soon join international rugby as another giant round of let's pretend.’
- ‘Everyone knows that theatre is a world of let's pretend.’
- ‘Of course his repentance is another game of let's pretend, momentarily seeming true under the spell of Handel's music.’
- ‘But standing in a parking lot today I suddenly felt home, and everything I'd experienced since I left felt like a big game of let's pretend.’
- ‘Sometimes, since we lived close to each other, we would go to Anna's house and play let's pretend.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.