One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A game or set of circumstances in which one behaves as though a fictional or unreal situation were a real one.
- ‘Of course his repentance is another game of let's pretend, momentarily seeming true under the spell of Handel's music.’
- ‘But standing in a parking lot today I suddenly felt home, and everything I'd experienced since I left felt like a big game of let's pretend.’
- ‘Sometimes, since we lived close to each other, we would go to Anna's house and play let's pretend.’
- ‘Tournaments such as the World Cup and European Championship will soon join international rugby as another giant round of let's pretend.’
- ‘Everyone knows that theatre is a world of let's pretend.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.