Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not as well or widely known as others of the same kind.
- ‘This new show for children and their families is based on the lesser-known fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen.’
- ‘It's also listed as one of the many lesser-known ingredients in cigarettes.’
- ‘In each lesser-known hockey nation, he discovers the origin of the local game, and meets the eccentric and colourful players.’
- ‘This release traces the lesser-known repertoire of one of the more fertile minds in jazzy, nuanced, percussive house.’
- ‘I found that some of the lesser-known voices resonated most with me.’
- ‘In fact it was amusing to see some of the lesser-known players almost embarrassed by the attention they were getting.’
- ‘According to the curator, Nivelle Tuli, the idea is to give recognition to lesser-known artists who never got their share of fame.’
- ‘Works by Gordon Parks and Andy Warhol are included, along with many lesser-known and folk artists.’
- ‘We entered through one of the lesser-known side entrances and breezed right in.’
- ‘However, lesser-known or recognized are his contributions to photographic criticism.’
- ‘The programmes served as an eye-opener for many on the lesser-known aspects of the State's history and heritage.’
- ‘What has happened to the traditional programme of well-known carols, interspersed with a few lesser-known ones?’
- ‘Bucking the trend, however, is Armagnac, France's lesser-known brandy from the Gascony region in the south-west.’
- ‘Meanwhile, there are a host of lesser-known, unusual and just plain bizarre games available.’
- ‘Umpires seem to report lesser-known bowlers but do not take action against higher-profile players.’
- ‘Despite having moved here about a year and a half ago, MacDonald is the lesser-known quantity in our fair city, but the buzz is good.’
- ‘The list is attractive and provides some lesser-known selections.’
- ‘Included are both the famed and the lesser-known players of the era.’
- ‘Well, beyond all the big names in the California recall race, there are scores of lesser-known candidates.’
- ‘The big names are there, of course, but what are interesting are the notes on the lesser-known artistes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.