A region in an organ or tissue which has suffered damage through injury or disease, such as a wound, ulcer, abscess, or tumor.
wound, injury, bruise, abrasion, contusion, scratch, scrape, cut, gash, laceration, tear, punctureView synonyms
- ‘We also recorded the presence and severity of scabies, abscesses, and fungal lesions.’
- ‘Indeed, patients with coronary disease have numerous lesions, but only a few cause angina.’
- ‘It was felt the likely cause of the abscess was an open lesion from the patient's severe eczema.’
- ‘The region of the lesion is injected with a blue dye and radioisotope tracer.’
- ‘The most common presenting lesions are papules, vesicles, pustules, and nodules.’
Late Middle English: via Old French from Latin laesio(n-), from laedere ‘injure’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.