Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A homosexual woman.
homosexual woman, gay womantribade, invertles, lesbo, lezzy, butch, femme, dyke, bulldykerug muncher, carpet muncherzamiView synonyms
- ‘I would have to ask whether you actually know any gay men or lesbians, and if so whether you have had this discussion with them.’
- ‘As a lesbian I want marriage equality in my home state of California.’
- ‘In a few decades people will look at the bigotry against gays and lesbians as medieval.’
- ‘In the article she touched on the lack of African-American lesbians who have come out.’
- ‘It's encouraging that the right is less hostile to gays and lesbians than it used to be.’
- ‘She believes that her achievement as an out lesbian will encourage other applicants for the scholarship to come out.’
- ‘He knew she was a self-identified lesbian.’
- ‘He was raised by lesbians and identifies as a cis heterosexual male.’
- ‘The debate has given rise to some soul-searching about how gays and lesbians are treated in this affluent, tightknit community.’
- ‘She came out publicly as a lesbian in 2010.’
- ‘He urged gay men and lesbians to make their voices heard.’
Relating to homosexual women or to homosexuality in women.‘a lesbian relationship’
homosexual, gay, lesbigayglbt, gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgenderedtribadicles, lesbo, butch, lezzy, dykeyqueer, bentView synonyms
- ‘It shocks me that gay and lesbian relationships can still be such a divisive issue for so many people.’
- ‘Non-traditional families are more common than you think: in my daughter's preschool class there are at least two lesbian couples.’
- ‘She's bisexual and has had lesbian relationships.’
- ‘The gay and lesbian community has had to undergo a significant adjustment.’
- ‘The civil unions law in Vermont has proved to be good news for gay and lesbian couples.’
- ‘She feels today's lesbian comedians aren't afraid to tell jokes without excluding a major part of their lives.’
- ‘Massachusetts today became the first state to allow gay and lesbian couples to marry.’
- ‘Not all online travel companies embrace gay and lesbian travelers.’
- ‘She immersed herself in the lesbian community in which she lived at the time.’
- ‘Donor insemination may also useful for single women and lesbian couples.’
- ‘How do you know that the two lesbian mothers are not going to be superb parents?’
- ‘The judgement came in a complex dispute over parental rights between three gay and lesbian civil partner couples.’
Late 19th century: via Latin from Greek Lesbios, from Lesbos, home of Sappho, who expressed affection for women in her poetry, + -ian.
From or relating to the island of Lesbos.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.