One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A homosexual woman.
homosexual woman, gay womanView synonyms
- ‘In a few decades people will look at the bigotry against gays and lesbians as medieval.’
- ‘She believes that her achievement as an out lesbian will encourage other applicants for the scholarship to come out.’
- ‘He urged gay men and lesbians to make their voices heard.’
- ‘It's encouraging that the right is less hostile to gays and lesbians than it used to be.’
- ‘In the article she touched on the lack of African-American lesbians who have come out.’
- ‘I would have to ask whether you actually know any gay men or lesbians, and if so whether you have had this discussion with them.’
- ‘He was raised by lesbians and identifies as a cis heterosexual male.’
- ‘She came out publicly as a lesbian in 2010.’
- ‘As a lesbian I want marriage equality in my home state of California.’
- ‘He knew she was a self-identified lesbian.’
- ‘The debate has given rise to some soul-searching about how gays and lesbians are treated in this affluent, tightknit community.’
Relating to homosexual women or to homosexuality in women.‘a lesbian relationship’
homosexual, gayView synonyms
- ‘She's bisexual and has had lesbian relationships.’
- ‘She feels today's lesbian comedians aren't afraid to tell jokes without excluding a major part of their lives.’
- ‘She immersed herself in the lesbian community in which she lived at the time.’
- ‘Massachusetts today became the first state to allow gay and lesbian couples to marry.’
- ‘Non-traditional families are more common than you think: in my daughter's preschool class there are at least two lesbian couples.’
- ‘Not all online travel companies embrace gay and lesbian travelers.’
- ‘The judgement came in a complex dispute over parental rights between three gay and lesbian civil partner couples.’
- ‘How do you know that the two lesbian mothers are not going to be superb parents?’
- ‘It shocks me that gay and lesbian relationships can still be such a divisive issue for so many people.’
- ‘The civil unions law in Vermont has proved to be good news for gay and lesbian couples.’
- ‘The gay and lesbian community has had to undergo a significant adjustment.’
- ‘Donor insemination may also useful for single women and lesbian couples.’
Late 19th century: via Latin from Greek Lesbios, from Lesbos, home of Sappho, who expressed affection for women in her poetry, + -ian.
From or relating to the island of Lesbos.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.