A mineral of the mica group containing lithium, typically gray or lilac in color.
- ‘Gases penetrating rock crevices allow the slow formation of lepidolite, topaz and tourmaline.’
- ‘It never occurs as a free element, but is found in minerals such as spodumene, petalite, and lepidolite.’
- ‘Its most common ores are lepidolite, carnallite, and pollucite.’
- ‘Morganite and quartz crystals are sometimes found within balls of fine-grained lepidolite within the pockets.’
- ‘It was a large piece rectangular rock, possibly lepidolite, carved with strange, flowing markings.’
Late 18th century: from Greek lepis, lepid- scale + -lite.