One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small eastern Asian wild cat that has a yellowish-brown coat with black spots and often lives near water.
Felis bengalensis, family Felidae
- ‘The Asian leopard cat lineage consisted of the Asian leopard cat, flat-headed cat, fishing cat, and rusty-spotted cat.’
- ‘Rangers said afterwards they believed the animal was a leopard cat, barking deer, wild pig or a stray cow - all indigenous animals in Hong Kong's rural areas, the South China Morning Post reported.’
- ‘In Sabah the predators include various birds of prey and small felines, such as marbled cats and leopard cats.’
- ‘Japan's Iriomote cat was recently demoted from a distinct species to an island subspecies of leopard cat.’
- ‘Mill, whose surname was Sugden at the time, bought an Asian leopard cat in 1963 when they could still be acquired at some pet shops.’
- ‘Although the leopard cat is distributed widely in south and east Asia, in the Japanese islands the Tsushima leopard cat occurs only on the Tsushima Islands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.