Any of a group of retroviruses producing illnesses characterized by a delay in the onset of symptoms after infection.
- ‘One feature that distinguishes lentiviruses such as HIV from the other retroviruses is the complexity of the lentiviral genome.’
- ‘Can't HIV, which is really a lentivirus, infect non-dividing cells?’
- ‘Much research in the meantime had been directed to treatments for HLTV - 3 in a futile effort, because it was a lentivirus after all.’
- ‘As long as the HIV lentivirus lived in monkeys, it was not a threat for humans.’
- ‘Svendsen and his team approached the problem using a genetically engineered viral structure known as a lentivirus.’
1970s: from Latin lentus slow + virus.