One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A high-protein pulse that is dried and then soaked and cooked before eating. There are several varieties of lentils, including green ones and smaller orange ones, which are typically sold split.
- ‘Accompanied by whole grain bread, a soup rich with ingredients such as vegetables, beans, lentils and rice makes a simple wholesome meal.’
- ‘The vegan should use a combination of beans, soy, lentils, nuts and veggies each day to get the complete protein package.’
- ‘You sat on wooden benches and ate lentils and brown rice from wooden bowls.’
- ‘Cook lentils over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are tender but not completely cooked.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine the chicken stock, lentils, thyme, garlic, and bacon.’
- ‘A variety of lentils exist with colors that range from yellow to red-orange to green, brown and black.’
- ‘Catherine will show you how to cook with beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.’
- ‘On the bread was a mushy mound of lentils, rice and carrots.’
- ‘As her hand slides into the cool mound of lentils, the camera cuts to her face, which is glowing.’
- ‘When the lentils are cooked, drain them well and add to the tomato sauce.’
- ‘Add the mushroom and lentils, and cook for two minutes.’
- ‘A collection of tender lentils, carrots and cinnamon, roasted beets, fried eggplant and onions, and warm potatoes quickly fill the table.’
- ‘All those beans, chickpeas, lentils and vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, eggplant and onions gave me such gas I was miserable.’
- ‘Make sure you clean that mess up afterwards if you're going to cook those lentils there.’
- ‘Currently, the leading commercial producers of lentils include India, Turkey, Canada, China and Syria.’
- ‘Add the water, the bouillon cubes, the lentils, the herbs, a bit of salt and a bit of pepper.’
- ‘Add lentils, onions, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.’
- ‘Stir in the garlic and lentils and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.’
- ‘It was on a very savoury bed of lentils which had been cooked with bacon and winter vegetables.’
- ‘Spoon some carrots, lentils, zucchini, buckthornberries, and grapes around the dish.’
2The plant which yields lentils, native to the Mediterranean and Africa and grown also for fodder.
Lens culinaris, family Leguminosae
- ‘Settlements began to encourage the growth of plants such as barley and lentils and the domestication of pigs, sheep and goats.’
- ‘Analysis of pollens found in excavations suggest that the earliest vegetal species to be cultivated were pulses - wild peas, lentils, and chick peas.’
Middle English: from Old French lentille, from Latin lenticula, diminutive of lens, lent- ‘lentil’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.