Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A high-protein pulse that is dried and then soaked and cooked before eating. There are several varieties of lentils, including green ones and smaller orange ones, which are typically sold split.
- ‘Make sure you clean that mess up afterwards if you're going to cook those lentils there.’
- ‘Add the water, the bouillon cubes, the lentils, the herbs, a bit of salt and a bit of pepper.’
- ‘On the bread was a mushy mound of lentils, rice and carrots.’
- ‘Stir in the garlic and lentils and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.’
- ‘The vegan should use a combination of beans, soy, lentils, nuts and veggies each day to get the complete protein package.’
- ‘Currently, the leading commercial producers of lentils include India, Turkey, Canada, China and Syria.’
- ‘As her hand slides into the cool mound of lentils, the camera cuts to her face, which is glowing.’
- ‘A variety of lentils exist with colors that range from yellow to red-orange to green, brown and black.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine the chicken stock, lentils, thyme, garlic, and bacon.’
- ‘Add lentils, onions, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.’
- ‘When the lentils are cooked, drain them well and add to the tomato sauce.’
- ‘Catherine will show you how to cook with beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.’
- ‘A collection of tender lentils, carrots and cinnamon, roasted beets, fried eggplant and onions, and warm potatoes quickly fill the table.’
- ‘It was on a very savoury bed of lentils which had been cooked with bacon and winter vegetables.’
- ‘Accompanied by whole grain bread, a soup rich with ingredients such as vegetables, beans, lentils and rice makes a simple wholesome meal.’
- ‘Cook lentils over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are tender but not completely cooked.’
- ‘Add the mushroom and lentils, and cook for two minutes.’
- ‘Spoon some carrots, lentils, zucchini, buckthornberries, and grapes around the dish.’
- ‘All those beans, chickpeas, lentils and vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, eggplant and onions gave me such gas I was miserable.’
- ‘You sat on wooden benches and ate lentils and brown rice from wooden bowls.’
2The plant which yields lentils, native to the Mediterranean and Africa and grown also for fodder.
- ‘Settlements began to encourage the growth of plants such as barley and lentils and the domestication of pigs, sheep and goats.’
- ‘Analysis of pollens found in excavations suggest that the earliest vegetal species to be cultivated were pulses - wild peas, lentils, and chick peas.’
Middle English: from Old French lentille, from Latin lenticula, diminutive of lens, lent- ‘lentil’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.